I am an assistant professor at The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (Guangzhou campus) in the AI Thrust. I am also an affiliate assistant professor at HKUST computer science & engineering department. I am interested in building AI systems that can understand and predict human behaviors. Please see these projects for an overview. My mission: develop AI technologies for social good. Prior to joining HKUST-GZ, I was a senior researcher at Tencent Youtu Lab working with Chunhua Shen, where we landed commercial AI products in tens-of-millions-RMB-scale projects. I previously graduated from Carnegie Mellon University, where I was advised by Alexander Hauptmann. My Ph.D. and research work were mostly funded by IARPA, NIST and NSF grants. I was a research intern at Google AI multiple times and collaborated with Lu Jiang, Liangliang Cao, Jia Li and Kevin Murphy. I obtained my undergraduate degree from RUC, advised by Qin Jin.
Research Group (Lab website: precognition.team)
Our group, the Precognition Lab (智能感知与预测研究组), is interested in building human-level AI systems. We focus on machine perception of human activities and the world, jointly with machine prediction of unseen future states. We believe in order to enable machines to understand and behave like humans, we should build world models with common sense knowledge that could aid intelligent agents in making action decisions. As a first step, sequential data (like that of videos) perception and prediction are important research topics to tackle. I have multiple
fully-funded Ph.D. and research assistant/intern positions available. Please checkout potential projects and this letter if you are interested in joining our group. 招生文: [知乎] [小红书]
For fellow assistant professors and Ph.D. students, I have gathered some awesome lists of resources that may be useful for your success. See here and feel free to contribute on Github.
If you want to meet, check out my public calendar first and propose a meeting via email.
- 02/2023 One paper accepted by CVPR 2023. Congrats to Xiaoyu!
- 02/2023 I'm teaching AIAA 5032 Foundations of Artificial Intelligence and AIAA 5036 Autonomous AI this semester at HKUST (Guangzhou).
- 01/2023 I am co-organizing the The 5th workshop on Precognition: Seeing through the Future @CVPR 2023. [Call For Papers] [知乎]
- 10/2022 Presented first-ever lecture at HKUST (Guangzhou). [AI Seminar]
- 10/2022 Two papers accepted at NeurIPS 2022. [Multi-Action (Spotlight paper, 3.7% acceptance rate, 384/10411)] [Video Retrieval]
- 10/2022 Joined HKUST-GZ as a Tenure-Track Assistant Professor. Started an awesome list collection for TTAPs and PhD students.
- 09/2022 Invited to present at a young researcher forum by Prof. Xiaoou Tang and Shanghai AI Lab.
- 06/2022 Achieved second-place out of 150 teams on the public leaderboard of the Naturalist Driver Action Recognition Task - AI City Challenge @ CVPR 2022. [CVPRW Paper] [Presentation] [Code and Model]
- 10/2021 Published a research talk at TechBeat.net on Pedestrian Trajectory Prediction. [将门TechBeat] [B站]
- 08/2021 Received Doctoral Consortium Award at ICCV 2021, mentored by Prof. Alexandre Alahi.
- 08/2021 1 paper accepted by ICCV 2021.
- 08/2021 Our VERA system helps another major Washington Post news report. [link]
- 07/2021 Successfully defended my Ph.D. thesis: From Recognition to Prediction: Analysis of Human Action and Trajectory Prediction in Video. [link]
- 04/2021 Featured in a front-page news report (04/15) by Washington Post using crowding counting technologies. [video] [知乎]
- 01/2021 Invited presentation at ICPR'20 pattern forecasting workshop. [link]
- 09/2020 We won the Automated Streams Analysis for Public Safety Challenge with a $30k prize.
- 08/2020 Our paper has been accepted by WACV 2021 (one strong-accept) and reported by CMU news:
- 08/2020 Analyzed videos for journalist from the Washington Post on a major news.
- 07/2020 Awarded "AI Rising Star" at the World AI Conference.
- 07/2020 SimAug paper accepted by ECCV 2020.
- 06/2020 Multiverse (CVPR 2020) code and dataset are released! [blog] [知乎] [code]
- 12/2019 Received Baidu Scholarship (10 recipients globally). Press Coverage: , , , ,
09/2019 Our Shooter Localization System won Best Demo award at CBMI2019. [Project Site]
Press Coverage: , , , , ,
- 06/2019 Presented Future Prediction paper at CVPR 2019. It was reported by the media and it received 30k+ views in a week. [Tweets]
- 04/2019 Our CMU team's (INF & MUDSML) system achieved the best performance on the activity detection challenge (Cached) in surveillance videos hosted by NIST & IARPA. We have released our code and model for Object Detection & Tracking here.
- 12/2018 MemexQA paper accepted by TPAMI 2019.
- 06/2018 Presented MemexQA paper at CVPR 2018. [Spotlight Talk]
- 11/2016 Best performer in the NIST TRECVID 2016 Ad-hoc Video Search Challenge (no annotation track).
- ICCV Doctoral Consortium Award 2021
Rising Star (云帆奖-明日之星), World AI Conference 2020
- Baidu Scholarship (10 Ph.D. students worldwide) 2019
- Winner, Automated Streams Analysis for Public Safety Challenge - $30k prize 2020
- Best Demo Award at CBMI2019 2019
- Yahoo! Fellowship 2016 - 2018
- Winner, TRECVID ActEV Challenge 2019
- Winner, TRECVID Ad-hoc Video Search Challenge, no annotation track 2016
- CMU LTI Student Research Symposium Best Paper Honorable Mentions 2018
- Google Cloud COVID-19 Research Grant - $6200 2020
- Washington Post. How Shireen Abu Akleh was killed (provided gunshot and shooter analysis), June 2022. [Link]
- Washington Post. Anatomy of a crackdown (provided gunshot and shooter analysis), August 25, 2021. [Link]
- Washington Post. 17 requests for backup in 78 minutes (provided crowd counting analysis), April 15, 2021. [Link]
- Carnegie Mellon University News. Amateur Drone Videos Could Aid in Natural Disaster Damage Assessment, August 28, 2020.
- AZO Robotics. New AI System Helps Detect Damage Caused to Buildings by Hurricanes, August 31, 2020.
- Washington Post. Lewd cheerleader videos, sexist rules: Ex-employees decry Washington’s NFL team workplace (featured in the video analytics), August 26, 2020. [Link]
- CBS. Researchers At Carnegie Mellon University Develop Video System To Locate Mass Shooters Using Smartphones, November 20, 2019.
- post-gazette. CMU develops video system that can locate mass shooter, November 20, 2019.
- GIZMODO. Smartphone Videos Can Now Be Analyzed and Used to Pinpoint the Location of a Shooter, November 21, 2019.
- DailyMail. Active shooters can be located within minutes by new software that analyzes smartphone video from the scene and can even identify the type of gun, November 20, 2019.
- Techspot. Researchers develop system that can pinpoint a shooter's location using smartphone videos, November 21, 2019.
- New York Times. Who Killed the Kiev Protesters? A 3-D Model Holds the Clues (featured in the video analytics), May 30, 2018.
- 读芯术. 卡内基梅隆大学梁俊卫：视频中行人的多种未来轨迹预测, August, 2020.
- Baidu. 乘风破浪的AI技术青年——首届WAIC云帆奖名单公布, July 11, 2020.
- China.com.cn. 人大高瓴人工智能学院“高屋建瓴-青年说”首期开讲, Jan 6, 2020.
- Baidu. AI界的中国力量！百度奖学金助力中国AI人才绽放光芒！, Jan 5, 2020.
- 量子位. 李飞飞团队造出”窥视未来”新AI:去哪干啥一起猜, 准确率压倒老前辈, received 30k+ views in a week, Feb 13, 2019.
- 机器之心. 遇见未来！李飞飞等提出端到端系统Next预测未来路径与活动, Feb 14, 2019.
- Aminer.cn, AI 2000 ranking (2019 - 2022).